The project is a research and demonstration project of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) under the research program "Research for the Sustainable Development of Megacities of Tomorrow - Energy- and Climate-Efficient Structures in Urban Growth Centres" of the Federal Republic of Germany.
More Informations about the project can be found here future-megacities.org or here lima-water.de/
Produced by: crossdocs.eu
Water Management in Lima, Peru
• Rapid population growth, in particular due to an influx of poorer people leading to informal settlements, lacking appropriate supplies of water, sanitation
• Water supply mainly from seasonal rivers affected by climate change
• Use of drinking water for park irrigation whilst untreated wastewaters are used for agriculture
• Polarisation and conflicts between poor and rich districts regarding water supply
• Lack of a systematic approach for the development of the water supply and wastewater system and its integration with urban planning
To improve planning and management of the water and sanitation system through informed and participatory decision making, focussing on climate change effects, sustainability and energy efficiency.
• Macro-modelling of the urban water system for informed discussions and decision making
• Simulation of Lima’s future development, taking into account climate change effects on the water system for longterm planning
• Round tables as a new form of governance in the water sector
• Water pricing options and improvement of tariff structure
• Integrated urban planning strategies and planning support
• E-Academy for education and capacity building