The project is a research and demonstration project of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) under the research program "Research for the Sustainable Development of Megacities of Tomorrow - Energy- and Climate-Efficient Structures in Urban Growth Centres" of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Energy and Climate Protection in Gauteng, South Africa
• The Gauteng Province is the most densely populated urban area of South Africa with a striking lack of energy supply
• High dependency on coal for energy production and consequently high CO2 emissions from the energy sector
• Low levels of electricity costs contribute to high levels of energy consumption and low rates of efficiency
• Low share of renewable energies due to the lack of a regulatory framework and incentives
To demonstrate viable technologies for a sustainable regional energy system through a transdisciplinary, practice-oriented and integrated approach.
• TIMES GEECO – regional energy and emission model and training
• EnerKey Advisor Tool – assessing energy performance of buildings
• EnerKey Long Term Perspective Group – a governance think tank model
• Transport Emission Inventory – informed mobility planning
• Energy Technology Handbook – sustainable technologies for the future
• CDM – emission trade evaluation tool
• iEEECo – energy and cost efficient settlements
• African Sustainable House – a holistic dwelling approach
• EnerKey Detectives – education and solar panels in schools
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?