We use a Microphone Stand to film the the toasts for a few reasons:
1. It keeps the Toaster in one spot and allows a focal point for the guests. The guests now pay attention to what is being said, instead of trying to follow the Toaster around the room.
2. We attach another microphone to the stand to capture the audio. So, in addition to the DJ/Bands microphone, there is another tiny microphone that you can't see in this video, taped to the stand. Insuring us good clean audio. If the Toaster walks away from the microphone stand, we will not be able to hear their speech as clearly. In this video, the Best Man's audio is much better than the Bride's Father's.
3. We do not have to play "Cat & Mouse" with our cameras by trying to follow the Toaster walking around into the dark areas of the room and we will not be filming the back of their head. It is very difficult to keep a moving object in focus.
4. We can set our lights to properly light their face and back of their head (hair light) which gives the video depth and doesn't make it flat.
5. The mic stand frees up the Toasters hands so they can hold their notes and champaigne.