HIV is on the Rise
“We are at a crossroads. Current HIV incidence trends suggest that the epidemic among gay men could take a turn for the worse, reversing decades of efforts and threatening a new generation of young men.” (1)
- Gay and bisexual men make up most new HIV infections, and these are increasing (2)
- Young gay and bisexual men are most at risk for getting HIV. The biggest spikes in HIV are among MSM (men who have sex with men) aged 13-24. Black MSM are more at-risk(2)
- Many guys are using social apps, such as Grindr, to bareback (3)
- Nearly 1 in 5 people with HIV don’t know they have it (4)
Online Hook-Up Tips:
- Discuss your boundaries and what you’re willing to do/not do ahead of time, when it’s less intimidating.
- Ask about his status. Often times, guys won’t discuss HIV and will assume the other person’s status is the same as theirs.
- When you meet up with a guy, bring condoms, even if you don’t plan on fucking. Being caught in the “heat of the moment” is often cited as the reason for not using a condom. Take condoms out and keep them in reach.
- Get tested for HIV and STIs every 3-6 months, depending on how often you’re having sex, what you’re doing, and who it’s with.
1. "Ending the HIV Epidemic Among Gay Men in the United States." AmfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research. Sept. 2012. amfar.org/uploadedFiles/_amfarorg/In_The_Community/EndingEpidemicIB.pdf
2. “Estimated HIV incidence in the United States, 2007–2010. HIV Surveillance Supplemental Report.” Centers for Disease Control. 2012;17(No. 4). Dec. 2012. cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/statistics_hssr_vol_17_no_4.pdf
3. "Gay Men Using Grindr, Other Apps To Meet Men On Barebacking: CHN 'Zero Feet Away' Poll." Weblog post. Huffington Post Gay Voices. 22 Jan. 2013. huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/22/gay-men-grindr-barebacking-frequency-poll-_n_2527856.html
4. “HIV in the United States: At A Glance.” Centers for Disease Control. 23 Apr. 2013. cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/basics/ataglance.html
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?