In this short clip, Dr Ben Goldacre, author, broadcaster and academic in epidemiology, gives his experience as an evidence-based and ethical doctor, of prescribing for somebody who was suffering
This is a short, but continuous extract, of Dr Goldacre's speech as given to the Annual Conference of the Royal College of General Practitioners in Harrogate on 3rd October 2013.
Dr Goldacre's address was titled "Bad Pharma"
Here is Dr Goldacre's conference bio:
"Ben is an award-winning writer, broadcaster, and medical doctor who specialises in unpicking scientific claims
made by scaremongering journalists, government reports, pharmaceutical corporations, PR companies and quacks.
He was trained in Medicine at Oxford and London, and currently works as an academic in epidemiology. Ben wrote the weekly Bad Science column in the Guardian from 2003-2011. Bad Science the book (4th Estate) has sold over half a million copies worldwide, reached #1 in the paperback non-fiction charts, and is being published in 25 languages.
ln his new book, Bad Pharma (4th Estate, September 2012) Ben puts the $600bn global pharmaceutical industry under the microscope. What he reveals is a fascinating, terrifying mess. Meet Ben at the RCGP exhibition area."
You can find:
(1) All Trials, here: alltrials.net/#sthash.DIoLqERR.dpbs
(2) Bad Science, here: amazon.co.uk/Bad-Science-Ben-Goldacre/dp/000728487X
(3) Bad Pharma, here: amazon.co.uk/Bad-Pharma-How-Medicine-Broken/dp/000749808X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381133811&sr=1-1&keywords=bad+pharma
(4) Ben Goldacre's blog, here: badscience.net/category/big-pharma/
(5) Films by Omphalos on conflicts of interest in medicine, science and education: Conflicts of Interest in Continuing Medical Education