This is the original switch that was used to turn on electricity for the first time in Dubbo in 1925.
To commemorate the occasion it has been mounted on a wooden box in the shape of a book. It was gifted to Mrs J.B MacDonald, the Lady Mayoress at the time who turned on the switch.
Only six properties received power at the switching on in 1925. It was not until the 1940s that most homes in Dubbo had electricity.
Made by Georgia and Claudia on ABC Open Object Stories workshops as part of the school holiday program at the Western Plains Cultural Centre.
ABC Open Producer Ana Tovey
Music: James Scott - Frog Legs Rag 1906 Piano Roll
Archive photograph courtesy of Western Plains Cultural Centre