The "Palazzo Nuovo" of the Capitoline Museum in Rome was designed by Michelangelo. Since 1665 it hosts the oldest public collection of classical sculptures. In 1990 the Centro di Conservazione Archeologica (CCA) was given by the Comune di Roma the responsability for the conservation of the building and the collection on display. Under the direction of Marina Mattei and Roberto Nardi, in three years time, the monument was given back to its original splendor. The conservation work has been implemented keeping the museum opened to the public.