A recreation of St Andrews Cathedral as it was in 1318. Today the remains of St Andrews Cathedral only hint at its former glory.
St Andrews was once the religious capital of Scotland. During the Middle Ages this small seaside burgh held the shrine of the nation’s patron saint, was the seat of the kingdom’s senior bishopric, and had the largest cathedral in the country. Yet following the upheavals of the Reformation much of St Andrews’ medieval built environment (and wider religious material culture) was destroyed. The great Cathedral of St Andrew fell into ruins, other religious foundations were razed to the ground, and even those churches which survived were stripped of altars, images, and vestments
The Open Virtual Worlds group at the University of St Andrews, in collaboration with Professor Richard Fawcett from the school of Art History.
Reconstruction primarily funded by St Andrews Community Trust and University of St Andrews 600 Committee.