1. fear of sound.
contrabass clarinet - Boyd
“acousticophobia.” seeks to exploit the technical ability of the performer as an individual – musically exploring 6 “phobias”
• sedataphobia: the fear of silence
• triskaidekaphobia: the fear of 13
• tachophobia*: the fear of speed
• technophobia: the fear of technology
• lachanophobia: the fear of vegetables
• thalassophobia: the fear of the ocean
I have come to understand the capabilities of the contrabass clarinet through working with Boyd and thus have created a score that incorporates both conventional and non-conventional forms of notation – allowing the performer to “face their fears”.
*not to be confused with tacophobia: the fear of tacos (a popular Mexican food)