This coastal artillery battery (one of many) was built to defend New Zealand's capital Wellington against a Naval attack. Work began in 1908 on constructing a 2 gun battery using 6"MkVII guns. By 1912 these 6" guns were manned by the Wellington Naval Artillery Volunteers. At its prime at the beginning of World War II, this fort had a total of no less than four different batteries of guns, and became the HQ for the heavy artillery regiment that manned the various coastal defence batteries around Wellington.

Loading more stuff…

Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?

Loading videos…