The Kendall Building at 16 and 18 Monroe Center, originally built in 1880 by one of Grand Rapids' founders, George Kendall, stood 85% empty at Grand Rapids' city center since 1966. Once a hub for commercial, retail and residential life, the Kendall has been functionally obsolete since 1988. In 2012, 616 Development acquired and began restoration on this building, and in the next 12 months it went from empty decay to 100% occupancy. 616 Lofts at the Kendall residents and the 616 Tribe's offices fill the building with life once again.
This is the story of the Kendall's restoration to the center of city life.