Hi Again! It's been too long, we apologize. Been doing lots of fun things recently to spread the gospel of BabyCakes, so much of which will be happening in 2014. We'll get to that in time... for now let's make these gingerbread cookie-people, people!
Also! If you're on the West Side of Manhattan, we now have a big fridge of BabyCakes stuff at Organic Avenue on Hudson and W. 12th! bit.ly/IScUM8
GINGERBREAD FOLKS RECIPE:
Makes 36 3-inch tall gingerbread boys
2 1/3 cups brown or white rice flour plus more for dusting
2 1/2 cups Florida Crystals
2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup arrowroot
3 tablespoons ginger
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups melted coconut oil
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup vanilla
Raisins for decorating (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Combine the flours, Florida crystals,arrowroot, ginger, cinnamon, xanthan gum, salt, baking soda and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
3. Add the oil, applesauce and vanilla and mix with a rubber spatula until the mixture forms a stiff dough. Gradually add 1/3 cup cold water and stir until dough is slightly tacky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Dust a clean work surface with some rice flour and place the dough in the center. Roll the dough around until it is entirely coated in flour. Dust a rolling pin with rice flour.
5. Roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out cookies with desired cookie cutter and place on the prepared cookie sheet, leaving about 1 inch between each cookie. Bake for 7 minutes, rotate the baking sheets and bake 5 minutes more.
6. Remove from the oven, press the raisins into the cookies as desired, and let cool for 10 minutes.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?