A board certified Sexologist is one who studies sex as an interdisciplinary approach, including the history of sexology, and the pioneering work of people like Kinsey, Masters and Johnson and European sexologists. It's a person who studies sex as a researcher, not just as a therapist. I am a board-certified sexologist from the American College of Sexology and the American Academy of Clinical Sexologists.

I'm also a board-certified Sex Therapist--the primary certification comes from the American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT), and I'm also certified by the American Board of Sexology.
While the two intertwine to some extent, a lot of sex therapists have very little background in sexology. They've never done sex research, like I have done. They've just taken courses so they know how to do sex therapy.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of counselors who call themselves sex therapists who are not board-certified. They may be marriage counselors on Psychology Today's web site where people look for a sex therapist, but they're not real sex therapists. Psychology Today's web site is meaningless in terms of endorsing people for credentials that they don't even check out. I believe we need standards. Anybody who does sex therapy should be board- certified as a Sex Therapist.

I have been on the Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality faculty and still am, and I've spoken at The Kinsey Institute. I am a sex researcher and a sex educator as well as a sex therapist. Research helps do a better job as a sex therapist. Education without knowledge is impossible. - Dr Roger Libby is an AASECT-licensed Sex Therapist and a Board-Certified Sexologist who practices in Seattle and Poulsbo, Washington.

Loading more stuff…

Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?

Loading videos…