"Portrait of a lone farmer is a feature documentary about a Danish-Nigerian family torn apart by geography. When the filmmaker Jide, for the first time in five years, visits his father’s poultry farm in Nigeria, we see through his camera the unfolding of a story about family, love, and legacy. It is a quiet and stunning portrait of a broken family trying to heal, one in which the drama occurs in their mutual understanding, and never takes up more space than the impressions that meet Jide’s camera.."
a film by Jide Tom Akinleminu
screening format: DCP
Festivals and awards:
- CPH:DOX 2013, Denmark - Nordic Competition
- Torino Film Festival 2013, Italy - International Competition
Won the "Cipputi Award" with following mention: "An intimate and delicate film that used the camera like a device capable of depicting a father and a son, a farmer and a filmmaker, across two continents, Europe and Africa. The work of one and the other look at one another, meeting, trying to understand each other and express themselves."
- iREP Filmfestival, Lagos, Nigeria - March 2014
- DOXA Documentary Film Festival, Vancouver, Canada - May 2014,
- SPOTfestival, Århus, Denmark - May 2014 - Main Competition
Wins the AFRICAN MOVIE ACADEMY AWARD in May 2014, Nigeria, for "Best Documentary"
- 16th Zimbabwe International Film Festival, October 2014 - Awarded with "Best Director" in the documentary category
- 38. Duisburger Filmwoche, Germany, November 2014 - Awarded with "3Sat Award" for "Best Documentary"
- 4th Africa International Film Festival (AFRIFF), Calabar, Nigeria, November 2014 - In competition
- Uhuru - Mostra de Cinema Africano Pós-Independência, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, November 2014
- Pan African Film & Arts Festival, Los Angeles, US - February 2015