On the 14th of May 1900, Stanley station opened below Mont Albert Road in Canterbury. It got its name from nearby Stanley Grove, which is still there today.
But this name lasted only 2 years, probably because of confusion with the nearby Shenley station. So on the 23rd of September 1902, Stanley changed its name to Balwyn.
But this was also confusing because Balwyn was a long way away from the station. So in 1923, the station again changed its name, this time to Roystead, after an enormous estate house nearby.