Saint-Jacome, Grand Method for Trumpet or Cornet (Carl Fischer, 2002), 213.
The video shows how to practice this type of exercise, according to Claude Gordon and my teacher, Bruce Haag . The mistakes you'll hear are ones common to developing trumpeters and will diminish over time, as I naturally discover the knack of trumpet playing.
This is exercise is part of a 5 part lesson plan.
Things to remember when you practice
- 5 times 10 breathing exercise before you begin
- Breathe where necessary
- Rest where necessary
- Practice all models (according to ability - not all every day)
- ACCURACY BEFORE SPEED
- BUILD UP - DON'T TEAR DOWN
- BIG BREATH - CHEST UP - SHOULDERS BACK (NOT UP)
- LIFT FINGERS HIGH - STRIKE THE VALVES HARD