The cement facility started in Davenport in 1906 as the Santa Cruz Portland Cement Company.
The Davenport facility was originally built to supply cement for the Panama Canal and Pearl Harbor. This location supplied cement for many well known California landmarks including the Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco-Oakland Bay bridge, Candlestick Park, Transamerica Pyramid building, San Francisco International Airport, Oakland Coliseum in the San Francisco Bay area, and the California Aqueduct.
In January 2010 Cemex announced the closing of the Davenport facility. By May, the facility had only security personnel. The top of the facility has both microwave dish and cell phone antennae.