Be patient! Wellington's public transport network doesn't have much going on during the small hours of Monday morning... but when it gets going, you'll know it. You'll feel it all the way down the Golden Mile.
Wellington's public transport system is popular. 78% of (greater) Wellington residents used public transport in March, April and May 2013, and 90% of residents used PT in the twelve months to June 2013. Buses are the primary form of transport for 16% of residents, and trains for 14% of residents. Together, these two modes are therefore the primary means of transportation for 30% of the region's residents.
This video shows the scheduled operation of public transport in the southwest of the Wellington region on a typical Monday morning in late 2013. It is part 2 in a series of videos that explore the daily operation of complex public transportation systems of cities in New Zealand and beyond. Part 1 is a video which shows the system in operation on the Sunday preceding this video. It's very fascinating to compare the two, so check out Sunday here: vimeo.com/87380844
The data you're watching is from the General Transit Feed Specification (or GTFS... just think "Google Maps" or the signposted timetable), which is published by Metlink. And for which I am very grateful.
Source for the statistics: http://www.metlink.org.nz/info/statistics/annual-public-transport-customer-satisfaction-monitor-2/