Before beginning, I asked ten audience members if they would read a card and then follow the instructions on the back of the card.
What the cards/audience members are saying during this performance:
1. "A vulnerability about myself is that I am very defensive which can also make me come off as jealous. I keep a huge guard up which people don't normally like to take the time to tear down, brick by brick."
2. "I get scared performing alone because people can really see me. I feel severely exposed."
3. "My crooked second toes."
4. "Looking weak by crying in front of others. I've trained myself to not cry, but when I'm alone sometimes I re-read the ending of Winnie the Pooh just so I can sob and let it all go."
5. "I think my perfectionism holds me back from doing all that I desire to do."
6. "Even though I know it isn't true - I still believe people will stop loving me if I make a mistake."
7. "I always, always, ALWAYS want to be skinnier."
8. The only thing I wish for on 11:11 is to find a significant other. I just want to love and share my life and I often doubt it will ever happen for me."
9. "I believe in some of the most beautiful things. I have witnessed and experienced such wonders. Yet, I still struggle to make it through the day sometimes. I struggle with my worth in this life or the effort to keep going and hoping. How is it I can be so enamored with life and its miracles and then fall back into a depression and self-loathing, an inner struggle and misery, that goes on barely seen or understood. If others knew of my inability to sustain happiness, would they still perceive my genuine smiles or words of thought with as much validity?"
10. "I don't really know what I'm doing."
Thank you to all those who shared a piece of vulnerability with me in order to make this work. And thank you to the audience members who also helped make this moment possible. This is for you.