As much as I love going to Harris & Lewis in the warmer months, I really enjoy going in the off peak winter season too.
* You get beaches to yourself
* Accomodation is less expensive and widely available
* It's a great time to see the stars & milky way and increased chances of northern lights, due to the longer dark nights
* You can chill out by the log fire
* No midges (though it's pretty good up there for midges in summer due to the sea breeze)
This video is from a couple of recent trips in February and March 2014
More videos on mothomson.com