Claude Gordon, Daily Trumpet Routines (Carl Fischer, 1971), 88-90.
The video shows how to practice this type of exercise, according to Claude Gordon (author) and my teacher, Bruce
Haag . The mistakes you'll hear are ones common to developing trumpeters and will diminish over time, as I
naturally discover the knack of trumpet playing.
This exercise is part of a 5 part lesson plan.
Things to remember when you practice
- 5 times 10 breathing exercise before beginning
- Practice each model for 3 days
- Breathe when necessary (not on last note)
- Push out ALL the air on last note - until shaking
- Add the upper octave where it's comfortable
- Rest as long as you play (finger and sing through each line)
- BIG BREATH - CHEST UP - SHOULDERS BACK (NOT UP)
- WATCH THE TONGUE
- LIFT FINGERS HIGH - STRIKE THE VALVES HARD
- Five Times Ten Breathing Exercise