The GG1, one of the world’s most distinctive locomotives and a mainstay of the
Pennsylvania Railroad, served the Harrisburg station on service to Philadelphia and
New York City between 1938 and 1981. No. 4859 pulled the first electrically
powered train into the Harrisburg station on Jan. 15, 1938. It was located at the
station as a memorial to that service in 1986, designated as the official state
locomotive and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Harrisburg
Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society maintains both No. 4859 and the
Video is in High Def. if the video freezes, click on "PAUSE" button and let it load, before clicking on play again.