During your reception, something that can really alter the pace and tempo of the day as well as bring your guest's attention away from the beautiful decor and design... is a bad speech. We've all been there, looking intently at the best man, maid of honor, or parents of the newly married couple as they grab the microphone for their speech and then.... flop! Either they have already had too much to drink, they are nervous as can be, or think they need to make guests feel like they are at a comedy club.

Our best advice is for speech givers at the wedding to follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of the toast should be heartfelt, and about the couple. The other 20% can be how the speech giver knows the person and their quick history with an anecdote or two, and this is the chance to throw in a funny, yet relatable story.

When the speech giver makes the toast about the couple, and how their relationship has grown and bringing it all back to why everyone is there that day, it goes a really long way and your guests will always remember a classy well said toast. Not only that, but if you are hiring a wedding filmmaker for your day, the heartfelt speeches that are about the couple are always great "supporting audio" for the film and can narrate the day.

Now, I may be going out on a limb here, and correct me if I am wrong.... but I don't think the bride wants to hear a brand new story from the best man that starts, "Man, this one time in college... I don't know what we were thinking when we called those girls..." I am willing to bet she would rather want to hear a toast from the best man's perspective about how their relationship over the last few years. Just sayin'.

perryfieldfilms.com

Loading more stuff…

Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?

Loading videos…