Alvydas Lukys was born in 1958 in Siauliai. In 1977 left Siauliai J. Janonis secondary school. In 1984 m. graduated from Vilnius Engineering Construction Institute (now Vilnius Gediminas University of Technologies). From 1984 he is a member of Lithuanian Photoartists Union. From 1990 worked in Vilnius Academy of Arts, Graphics Department, Photo Studio, later he became the Head of Image Studio. He is one the founders of Image Studio and later Photography and Video Arts Department (now of Photography and Media Arts Department).
In 1997 he was awarded the Pedagogical Associate Professor title. In 1998 he was elected the Head of Photography and Video Arts Department. Currently he leads the Department and is a full Professor.
Participates in photography exhibitions from 1978. Organised eight personal exhibitions in Lithuania and abroad. Participated in a number of group exhibitions both in Lithuania and abroad. Also has worked as an Exhibition and Art Project Tutor. Organised several thematic exhibitions in Lithuania and abroad.
Alvydas Lukys works were acquired by Lithuanian Museum of Arts, Lithuanian Photoartists Union, Odense Museum of Photography Arts, Denmark, Corcoran Centre of Photography, Washington and a number of private hobbyists.