Wild Country’s 'Learning to Lead' Series has been designed to give some useful advice for those climbers who want to make their way onto the ‘sharp-end’ of the rope.
Designed for people breaking out from wall climbing or who are tired of their friends having to set everything up, Wild Country sponsored climber and MIA Katherine Schirrmacher takes us through the process of starting to lead your first climbs.
In this video Katherine shows how to set up a top rope and shows off a great trick for getting a taste of leading without the danger.
The series includes:
1. Gear – This covers the basic gear you will need and some tips on placements.
2. Setting up Belays – Setting up safe belays when you get to the top of a climb or for a top rope.
3. Top Rope Leading – This covers how to set up a top rope and and great trick for getting leading experience without the danger.
4. Lead belaying – Where to stand and what to do as your partner leads.
5. First Lead – Tips and techniques for your first lead. From choosing your routes to topping out.
Please note this series is not exhaustive and does not cover everything but we hope to give you an insight and tips and techniques that you can use at each point in the process of ‘Moving into Leading’.
Katherine Schirrmacher runs her own company lovetoclimb.co.uk and can be contacted for personalized courses.