Hi, my name is Virginia Barter and I am the Community Producer and Host of the series URBAN ABORIGINAL.
This series highlights the rich and culturally diverse contributions that Aboriginal people bring to life in the city of Toronto. In this episode:
1) Filmmaker Michelle Latimer addresses the issue of youth suicide with her award winning animated film "Choke";
2) First Nations elders speak at the University of Toronto about Boreal forest development concerns and treaty rights in Northern Ontario, and the Canadian Boreal Forest Initiative;
3) Australian aboriginal elder and singer Olive Knight shares her story of the residential school experience in Australia. She was in Toronto performing at the Princess of Wales Theatre with Hugh Jackman in Concert;
4) 7th Generation Image Makers - hear the story of this inspiring youth art program in Toronto and the innovative vision behind it: (founding artist Maria Hupfield and program coordinator Amanda Strong)
5) Circle of Light - Aboriginal Education Conference - we go behind the scenes to see what's new in Aboriginal education.
Hope you enjoy this episode. You can view more story segments from the series on my website at:
Miigwetch and Myo-pi-mo ta-ta (Thank you and keep walking in a good way).
Video content Copyright: Virginia Barter and Rogers Communications 2012.