--The Wolverine - dvd release--
The shoot for this sequence went on till early morning, so the sky in some of the shots in the sequence ended up being too bright; early morning instead of night, so we were tasked to grade the sky so it appeared to be night. The work bulk of the work was roto, with some creative roto to preserve the lens flaring from the lights, then we needed to make sure the sky matched other shots.
pretty standard stuff this one, tracked in parts of the background from other frames to remove the wires, came out pretty quickly.
add telephone wire
there were telephone wires taken out for a wire rig in another shot, so I was tasked to add the wires back in. I painted them with brush strokes, tracked them in, and added motion blur and a grade to integrate.
other tasks not mentioned in the video included retiming some of the shots, some of which to quite unusual timings. For this I used a combination of chronos, with about 5 different settings, and some custom frame blending and merging.
the wire removal
the snow in this shot was slow moving which meant that painting over just the wire caused a visible discontinuity, so instead I first had to create a background with the snow removed for the whole area that the wire went over, then add snow over the top again by taking it from another section of the footage. These patches also had to be animated for the slow moving parallax through the shot, and the ninjas that moved had to be re-introduced.
unfortunately I couldn’t find a before shot with the skybox still in it.
Initially there was a mat buried in the snow and logan bounced after falling onto it (making it obvious that it was a crash mat). I hid the mat under snow and reanimated logan falling, taking a frame partway through the fall and a frame after he was still and warping and blending between the two, and removing the old logan, so that he no longer bounced.
I also did a lot of roto work on this show, in shots which I'll show on a roto showreel (if I need to make one)
In this show I mostly handled storm enhancement, which involved taking a set of mono greenscreen elements (which were stereo, but out of sync, and hence unusable as stereo elements), which we layered with different disparities to give the 3D effect. Mostly this involved tweaking the disparity of the layers, making more or less on the right or left side etc to give and impression of a field non parallel to the camera, however in rare cases, such as the last one, we needed to add these elements in 3D. One of the challenges we faced in this task, was finding ways to suggest the direction of the wind. When the element footage with the particles was accelerated to 2x-4x speed, there was little continuity from one frame to the next. We overcame this by manually adding in some particles with continuity, and by adding 'dust' waves, whose movement could be seen over a few frames.
We also did wire removals, and rig removals (which I mostly haven't shown here for the sake of brevity).
All vfx work was done in The Foundry Nuke, and this video was cut with Blender.