Lisa Victorine is a Head Start teacher at Applegate Elementary School in Portland, OR. She was kind enough to share 5 helpful reading tips to engage with Pre-K level children. SMART volunteers and parents alike should find these valuable:
1. Focus on identifying letters and the sounds they make.
2. Introduce new vocabulary and roleplay with it.
3. Classify the genre or talk about plot and characters.
4. Take a "picture walk" through the book.
5. Ask them questions about the book.
For more information about SMART and its programs, visit: getsmartoregon.org