Percussionist / drummer Phillip Marks was born in Manchester, UK and moved to New York until the age of 17. After squeezing the Big Apple, he returned to England to play in improvised music circles for more than two decades!
No less spectacular was Adam Melvin on the Saxophone, who specially travelled from Belfast for this concert. Master Student Irma Catalina Alvarez explored the subtleties of her custom-made intrument alongside the two maestros.
1st MANTIS Battle of Gestures and Textures is the craziest Live interactive and Electronic adventure we ever had at the MANTIS Festival!!. Featuring Gavin Osborne, Nina Whiteman, intrepid undergraduate and postgraduate music students and great music improvisers from Manchester and beyond. Music trios selected on the spot improvised in a battle of acoustic versus electronic gestures and textures. This video features the final performance with the theme 'SOS Planet Earth: THINK!'. 17 musicians on stage conducted by Gavin Osborn.
- Gavin Osborn - Flute / Bass flute [Performer in Residence]
- Nina Whiteman - Voice [Performer in Residence]
- Andreas Mniestris - Tenor sax
- Philip Marks - Percussion /Drums [Special Guest]
- Irma Catalina -Found objects; percussion
- Adam Melvin - Soprano and Tenor saxophones [Special Guest]
- Rob Bentall - Double bass, electric guitar
- Camilo Salazar - electric guitar and pedals [Special Guest]
- Chris Swithinbank - Cello
- Alexandros Kontogeorgakopoulos - Electric Guitar and custom-made EFX [Special Guest]
LAPTOPS & Electronic Gear
- Mark Pilkington - (Synth keyboard)
- Richard Scott - (Buchla Synth)
- Panos Amelides (laptop)
- Ricardo Climent (laptop)
- Josh Kopeček - Piano / inside piano
- Oliver Carman (laptop and original sounds) - patch provided by the SpliceGirls (Diana Simpson and Manuella Blackburn
Andy Davison, Ricardo Climent, Alexis Guneratne, Sam Salem, David Berezan
Work experience person at MANTIS