Cook time: 40 minutes for beets and 2 hours for duck breast
· 4 golden beets
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 3 peaches - sliced
· 1 teaspoon sugar
· 5 cups baby arugula
· 4 cups mixed salad greens
· 2 cups Watercress
· 2 Duck breasts
· 1 cup green beans, blanched
· 3 tablespoons chopped almonds
· 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
· 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
· 2 tablespoons duck fat - extracted from the duck breast
· 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
· 2 tablespoons blackcurrant jam, warmed
· salt and pepper to taste
Steps for sous vide golden beets:
1. Set up Nomiku and turn dial to 85°C (185°F).
2. Shave skin off beets and put in bag with butter. Remove air from bag, seal, and place in Nomiku water bath at 85°C for 40 minutes.
3. For a video on beets, click here: blog.nomiku.com/post/82652725960/monday-nomday-sous-vide-beets
Steps for sous vide duck breast:
1. Set Nomiku to 57°C (135°F).
2. Gently score the skin of the duck into a crosshatch pattern, take care to not cut through into the flesh. Reserve the duck fat in skillet for the dressing.
3. Warm skillet up to a medium high heat and s ear both sides of the duck 1 minute each side. Seal duck breasts in bags and remove air. Cook in Nomiku water bath for 2 hours
4. Take duck out of bag and place on paper towel to dry, season with salt and pepper as desired. Sear over high heat in a skillet to extract more fat and crisp up skin for 1 minute. Never go more than a minute or you risk overcooking the meat.
Dressing and Salad Steps:
1. For dressing: thoroughly blend duck fat, rice wine vinegar, ijon mustard, olive oil and a pinch of salt.
2. Heat up a cast iron, sprinkle peaches with sugar, sear peaches face down until you get a nice char. Also works great on a grill.
3. Wash and plate greens.
4. Dice up sous vide beets to add to plate, add string beans, grilled peaches, and sliced duck breast with a line of blackcurrant jam on the duck.
5. Top with crushed almonds and dressing.
6. Season with salt and pepper as desired.