Seinen Namen hat der Vierwaldstättersee von den vier hier angrenzenden Waldstätten: den Kantonen Uri, Unterwalden, Schwyz und Luzern.

In den Vierwaldstättersee fliesst aus dem Gotthardmassiv die Reuss. Sie führt grosse Mengen Material mit sich, so dass sich das Delta im Laufe der Zeit um 10 km nördlich in den Urnersee verschoben hat.

Im Bereich des Reussdeltas zwischen Flüelen und Seedorf wird der See teilweise wieder aufgeschüttet. Aus dem Ausbruchmaterial des Umfahrungstunnels Flüelen und des Gotthard-Basistunnels entstehen wieder Flachwasserzonen, die durch den Kiesabbau verschwunden waren.
Der Vierwaldstättersee besteht aus mehreren Armen und Buchten:

Der Urnersee erstreckt sich von der Einmündung der Reuss bei Seedorf 11 km in nördlicher Richtung bis nach Brunnen
Das Gersauerbecken führt 14 km von Ost nach West von Brunnen nach Ennetbürgen, wo die Engelberger Aa in den See mündet. In der Mitte der Bucht von Buochs erreicht der See mit 214 m Tiefe seine tiefste Stelle.
Das Vitznauerbecken liegt südlich von Weggis und verläuft von Ost nach West. Es führt zwischen Hertenstein im Norden und dem Bürgenstock im Süden hin zur Seemitte. Es wird auch Vitznauer Becken genannt.
Der Chrüztrichter bildet im Westen des Weggiser Beckens das eigentliche Zentrum dieses Seeteils. Im Südwesten davon liegen
die Horwerbucht und
der Alpnachersee, der zwischen Acheregg und Stansstad durch eine Engstelle und eine Brücke vom restlichen See abgetrennt wird und am Südfuss des Pilatus liegt.
Der Luzernersee führt vom Kreuztrichter aus nach Nordwesten nach Luzern, wo die Reuss den See verlässt und zur Aare weiter fliesst.
Der Küssnachtersee führt zwischen Merlischachen und Meggen in nordöstlicher Richtung nach Küssnacht am Rigi

English
--------
Lake Lucerne (Vierwaldstättersee) is a lake in Switzerland.

Lucerne (German: Luzern is a city in Switzerland. It is the capital of the Canton of Lucerne and seat of the district with the same name. With a population of 57,890[1], Lucerne is the most populous city in Central Switzerland and a focal point of the region. The city's agglomeration consists of 17 municipalities in three cantons with an overall population of nearly 200,000[2].

Due to its location on the shore of Lake Lucerne (Vierwaldstättersee), within sight of Mount Pilatus and Rigi in the Swiss Alps, Lucerne is traditionally considered first and foremost as a tourist destination. One of the city's famous landmarks is Chapel Bridge (Kapellbrücke), a wooden bridge first built in the 14th century.
Since the city straddles the Reuss River where it drains the lake, it has a number of bridges. The most famous is the Chapel Bridge (Kapellbrücke), a 204 m (670 ft) long wooden bridge originally built in 1333, although much of it had to be replaced after a fire on August 18, 1993, allegedly caused by a discarded cigarette. Partway across, the bridge runs by the octagonal Water Tower (Wasserturm), a fortification from the 13th century. Inside the bridge are a series of paintings from the 17th century depicting events from Luzern's history. The Bridge with its Tower is the city's most famous landmark.

Downriver, between the Kasernenplatz and the Mühlenplatz, the Spreuerbrücke or Mill Bridge zigzags across the Reuss. Constructed in 1408, it is the oldest covered bridge in Europe and features a series of medieval-style 17th Century plague paintings by Kaspar Meglinger titled Dance of Death. Meglinger's paintings portray various conditions of men and women, priests and warriors, princes and men of learning, the young bride, the devout nun, the lawmaker, the hunter, the miller, even the artist himself, are all depicted at the mercy of Death, with his mocking smile and his ever-changing garb. These paintings, suitable for a Benedictine abbey, are seen by every inhabitant of beautiful Lucerne who crosses the river via the Spreuerbrücke. It has a small chapel in the middle that was added in 1568.

Old Town Lucerne is located just north of the Reuss River, and still has several fine half-timber structures with painted fronts. Remnants of the old town walls exist on the hill above Lucerne, complete with eight tall watch towers. An additional gated tower sits at the base of the hill on the banks of the Reuss River.

The twin needle towers of the Church of St. Leodegar, which was named after the city's patron saint, sit on a small hill just above the lakefront. Originally built in 735, the present structure was erected in 1633 in the late Renaissance style. However, the towers are surviving remnants of an earlier structure. The interior is richly decorated. The church is popularly called the Hofkirche (German) and is known locally as the Hofchile (Swiss-German).

Bertel Thorvaldsen's famous carving of a dying lion (the Lion Monument, or Löwendenkmal) is found in a small park just off Lowenplatz. The carving commemorates the hundreds of Swiss Guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French Revolution, when the mob stormed the Tuileries Palace in Paris.

The Swiss Transport Museum is a large and comprehensive museum exhibiting all forms of transport, including locomotives, automobiles, ships, and aircraft.

The Culture and Convention Center beside the lake in the center of the city was designed by Jean Nouvel. The center has one of the world's leading concert halls, with acoustics by Russell Johnson.

Loading more stuff…

Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?

Loading videos…