"The first thing that comes to mind after watching this little film is that there are so many imperfect moments. Though the cinematography is great (and I am Kevin's #1 fan), I would have done things way differently. I mean, had we all the time in the world to do this and had I the final say in all the editing. But we hadn't and I hadn't.
Almost immediately after answering Kevin's question, I thought of better, more eloquent responses. And I TOTALLY predicted the flyaway thing. Aaaand I knew that the interrogation angle would be unsavory (for myself). I would have redone each song until I had all the vocals come through as they did in my head. I would have also pulled out the lyric sheets that I somehow forgot existed. And then I would have done my best to make it seem like I wasn't using them.
But naw. This is exactly how it happened. And because of this project, I learned to accept a few harsh yet simple truths about myself.
1. I have trouble remembering my own lyrics sometimes.
2. I am deeply ashamed of this and should probably practice my own songs more.
3. I should also probably write more memorable lyrics.
3. a. I need to lay "Maggie and the Hat" to rest for a while and start working on "Tuesday and So Slow," my and Lewie's new baby of a band.
4. I believe my leave-in conditioner when it tells me it tames frizz. Which is every time. I should buy something else."
A Project With Maggie & The Hat
Images, Sounds, Edit by Kevin de Wilde
Text by Maggie Pakutka
Filmed in Manasquan, New Jersey