The word "excited" doesn't do justice to our emotions right now. We're thrilled, pumped, tickled 2,012 shades of pink, and jazzed to the max to announce that the Vimeo Festival + Awards are back! In fact, submissions are now open, so it's time to throw humility to the wind and show off the amazing masterpieces you've been slaving over. We want to see them!
In case you have no idea what we're talking about: The Vimeo Festival + Awards are a celebration of the best original videos premiered online. This isn't just a Vimeo thing, it's a video thing – everyone is invited to participate. It's not just an online thing, either. The 2012 Vimeo Festival + Awards will culminate in an offline event held in the real physical world next June. We'll share more details when the time is right, and in the meantime you can learn more about the 2012 Festival + Awards on the website we designed expressly to tell you about them.
So – about these new awards. People always say things like, "They're better than ever!" But seriously, if the 2010 Festival + Awards knocked your socks off, the 2012 version will absolutely launch your argyles into the stratosphere. There's lots of new stuff to love, including:
We're covering all your favorite categories from 2010, and, because the world of online video is growing like a teenager who sleeps too much, we're introducing four new ones: Action Sports, Advertising, Fashion, and Lyrical. See the full list of categories »
We've plundered our Rolodexes and corralled some incredibly distinguished individuals to evaluate your submissions. To wet your whistle, we can reveal that the new-category judges are skate legend Stacy Peralta (Action Sports), ad genius David Droga (Advertising), fashion photographer extraordinaire Nick Knight (Fashion), and cinematography maven Philip Bloom (Lyrical). In addition, all of the 2010 winners will be on the 2012 jury! We'll unfurl the next round of big (and really massive) names in January.
Creativity should not go unrewarded, which is why each winners will receive a really sweet Vimeo t-shirt! Oh, and did we mention the t-shirt will be wrapped around a stack of cash? We're ponying up $5,000 grants for category winners and one $25,000 grand prize, all designed to help the recipients make new original work.
Sounds pretty fly, right? Before you submit, here are all the fine points of gory detail you need to know:
- Submissions will be accepted from December 13, 2011 through February 20, 2012.
- There is a $20 (U.S.) submission fee per video. The submission fee is $5 for Vimeo Plus and PRO members.
- Entrants can submit any original work that premiered anywhere online between July 31, 2010 and February 20, 2012, or any original work that has never been premiered. Videos that premiered online before July 31, 2010 are not eligible for submission.
- All entries must comply with the Official Rules of the Vimeo Festival + Awards. (We're typically not big fans of rules, but it's really important that you read these.)
- All submissions must be entered through vimeo.com/awards. That's it! We hope you're as thrilled/pumped/tickled/jazzed as we are. Get inspired by reliving the 2010 Festival + Awards, and then go ahead - wow us!