Slow motion videos are a long-time mainstay here at the Vimeo. Some of the most beautiful and gorgeous HD footage I have ever seen here slows down the action and allows the viewer to examine fine details that would normally get lost within a blink of the eye. Slow motion video can be inspiring to see, and even more fun to capture.
This week we challenge you to completely fake it. Throw away the 1,000,000FPS DSLR, ignore the slow-mo setting on your iPhone, and record a regular speed video while pretending to move as if you were the subject of a slow-motion documentary. To accentuate the fact that your subject is not shot in slow motion and is just moving really, really slowly, think about adding elements around your fake-slow-mo subject that aren’t faking it. You could even add some dialogue and have your actors or actresses to talk in their best deep and slow voices. Mikey and I have the faux-slo-mo scoop here:
Use whatever equipment or cameras you want, just make sure that you shoot at normal speed, and that your final video is exported at normal speed - no post-production trickery! For more inspiration, let’s look back at the Community team’s foray into fake slow motion from a few years back:
Also, here’s Bill freakin’ Murray and his friends doing their best slow-motion hero walk:
- Create a video using fake slow motion techniques! Remember that only videos made specifically for this Challenge will be considered. + No time manipulation! Everything must be shot and exported at normal speed. (Time machines are ok, but please avoid the grandfather paradox).
- Keep your entries under 90 seconds in length.
- If you add music, make sure you use a song you or a buddy created, or something from the Vimeo Music Store! If you do choose to use a Music Store song, please throw a link in the description.
- Anything goes for your title, but add this at the end of your video’s description: “Created for the Weekend Challenge: Vimeo Weekend Challenge”
- Upload and post your video to the Weekend Challenge Group by *****Tuesday, May 5th, 2015***** at 11:59 PM (EST). Just follow the screenshots below:
+ The winner will receive a Challenge badge on their video, and free Vimeo Plus account for one year! If you’re already a Plus member, you’ll get another year tacked on to the end of your current subscription. + The runner-up will receive an extra 3GB of upload space in their weekly quota!
All videos must be approved by the Vimeo Staff before appearing in the Group, so don’t worry if your video doesn’t show up at first; we’ll get to it!
We’ll see you for the next Challenge!