Happy Friday, fellow Vimeans!
It’s been a long 34 weeks since our last 5x5, but this Weekend Challenge we’re bringing back that classic format. If you’re unfamiliar, worry not because it’s very straightforward: a 5x5 is a 25-second video composed of five 5-second clips, using only the natural sound from each clip.
This week, we’re expanding on the illuminating theme from the previous 5x5 and asking you to build your video out of ~~interesting light~~. We want you to look a little deeper, past the fluorescent tubes in your office and supermarket. Switch off one or all of the lights you use every day, and observe how that changes the appearance of the everyday. We know all too well what our faces look like in the bathroom mirror lights, but what do those same faces look like at sunset under a streetlight?
In short, think of light as your daily routine and break it! Take a spontaneous road trip, or just a trip to somewhere around your house, apartment, or town that you normally don’t frequent around a particular time of day.
Interesting light can be all natural, as in this example:
Or it could be a night of campfires, fireworks, and (figurative) fire on the dance floor:
As always, think about how you could use different aspects of moviemaking, like transitions, shot composition, and natural sound. There’s plenty of light out there and you’ve only got 25 seconds to showcase it!
- Create a video made up of five 5-second clips showcasing interesting light.
- Keep it as close to 25 seconds in length as possible.
- Use only natural sound (no adding songs you or your friend made, from the Vimeo Music Store, or our iPhone editing app Cameo).
- Remember that only videos made specifically for this Challenge will be considered.
- Anything goes for the title, but add this at the end of your video’s description: “Created for the Weekend Challenge: Vimeo Weekend Challenge”
- Upload and post your video to the Weekend Challenge Group by Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. (EST).
- The winner will receive a badge and a free Vimeo Plus membership for one year! If you’re already a Plus member, you’ll get another year tacked on. If you have Vimeo PRO, we’ll give you six more months of PRO added to the end of your current membership.
- The runner-up will receive a free Vimeo Plus membership for six months. Current Plus members will get six more months added on, and PRO members will earn three additional months of PRO.
All videos must be approved by the Vimeo Staff before appearing in the group, so don’t worry if your video doesn’t show up at first; we’ll get to it!
Thanks again to everyone who participated, and we’ll see you again next time!