Above the grit and noise of the street, downtown Los Angeles quietly provides some of the most amazing visual detail in its buildings and public art works. This is a selection of those buildings and public arts filmed across some 50 different locations in the immediate downtown area and the arts district. There are many many more locations that are not included and are equally if not more impressive.
Some of the buildings are in disrepair, some have been restored to their full glory while others have been transformed into artworks. In all of them, there is character, color and detail that makes the area a never-ending source of intrigue.
A mostly accurate map of the locations: http://goo.gl/W3Z6NS
For queries about usage / licensing, commissioned shoots and on set aerial filming, please contact Silly Goose Media, sillygoosemedia.com, 310-776-5266, firstname.lastname@example.org.
All content is copyright of its respective copyright holders. Video and natural sound copyright Ian Wood, 2014. This video may only be embedded using the Vimeo player in its entirety, unaltered with accreditation. No portion of this video may be duplicated, altered, reused and/or unaccredited without explicit permission.
A note about aerial filming, safety and best practices. These shots were obtained with a lightweight remote controlled quad-copter and camera system. The following measures were in place during the filming:
- Following all applicable FAA regulations (the ones that actually exist).
- Avoiding controlled airspace and TFR restricted airspace.
- Staying below 400ft AGL.
- Avoiding any and all air traffic, airways, airports, etc.
- Maintaining awareness for helicopter traffic and proximity to helipads.
- Flying just above or along rooflines to stay out of usable airspace for helicopters.
- Maintaining visual LOS to the quad-copter at all times.
- Shooting mostly during early morning when possible to avoid crowds and traffic.
- Not directly overflying groups of people.
- Being sure to have direct ability to alert any people nearby in case of potential incident.
- Being prepared to ditch in order to prevent injury or accident.
- Maintaining a minimum height of 100ft above any private property.
- Deleting any shots inadvertently revealing private activities or people in a place of privacy.