The Victorian Railways 5 ft 3 in (1,600 mm) gauge branchline to Waubra was opened in 1889. In 1931, passenger services were withdrawn and the line continued as a "goods only" line through to its closure in January 1968. This video is of a last special train excursion from Melbourne to Waubra shortly before the line closed. Special carriages were attached to the regular train from Melbourne which were taken from Ballarat to Waubra by a J class steam locomotive. The tour happened to be run on a very hot summers day. Some of the regular workings in those days are glimpsed as are some Ballarat trams on the former system. The video was reproduced from old 8mm film taken on the day.