The RHPRI Tour a self-guided tour route that offers a glimpse into the rich cultural and natural history along the west side of the North Saskatchewan River between Petrofka Bridge and Wingard Ferry. The river valley is rich in biodiversity. It has about fifty species of mammals, over two hundred species of birds, and many examples of fish, amphibians, reptiles and insects. Plant life includes twenty types of trees and shrubs, countless varieties of flowering plants, grasses, and more primitive species.
This cemetery, established at the turn of the last century by the Congregational Church of Canada, is the resting place of William Diehl (1850 – 1936). Diehl was one of three scouts during the Northwest Resistance of 1884-85 to whom Louis Riel surrendered. William Diehl and the scouts are credited with transporting Louis Riel to General Middleton of the Canadian Militia.
A plains cottonwood crossed with balsam poplar, the Big Tree stands nearly 21 meters high at the present time, as its top was sheared off by lightning. The tree has a girth of 5 meters and a span reaching 32 meters. Estimates place its age at over 160 years. This tree is one of the last remaining giant cottonwoods, as most have fallen to saw and axe. It stands near the site of the former Laird Ferry.
High on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River, one stands on soil crossed by prehistoric buffalo hunters, fur traders on Red River carts, and later homesteaders who developed the land. From this vantage point, one can imagine a scene of canoe brigades, York boats and later, steam boats. Across the river is Fort Carlton, formerly a bustling trade centre and transportation hub in the 1800s and now a provincial park.
Founded by Dr. Benjamin Ralph in 1904, Craigmore was named after a college in Ireland. Dr. Ralph arrived in the district to homestead and to provide leadership, serving with distinction until his death in 1930. His grave is in the Craigmore Cemetery. Considered by many to be among the most peaceful and serene locations in Saskatchewan, this idyllic little country church is a favorite spot to visit.