A barn was destroyed and a house badly damaged by fire Thursday afternoon in Columbia County.
Crews were called to the barn on Jackson Street in the village of Rupert about 3 p.m. They found the barn full of flames. There were no animals inside the barn. The place housed motorcycles and equipment.
"It was just huge orange billowing out of there. It was crazy," said Jeramy Melchiorre.
He sent video to email@example.com, raging flames swallowing his neighbor's storage barn.
Rick May was home at the time reading the newspaper when he saw smoke coming from his barn. He called 911.
"I could see the whole back side was engulfed on the back side of the barn. It went so quick it was within a matter of 15 to 20 minutes," said May.
The fire was so intense, it spread to a house next door owned by a couple who wasn't home at the time. Inside was their pet dog. May and Melchiorre didn't hesitate.
"We went around the back, kicked the door in and got the dog out," said Melchiorre.
A long-haired Chihuahua, Fefe, is alive thanks to the neighbors.
"She was in the kitchen. I just said 'come on' and she let me take her right out."
Meanwhile. Rick May said he's thankful firefighters were able to save his neighbor's house, which has fire, smoke and water damage.
May lost his barn and everything inside including two motorcycles, a jeep and some expensive tools. He believes a fan may be to blame for the fire.
"There was a box fan that was the only thing I had on, an old box fan blowing across the floor trying to dry the floor up."
No one was hurt and there is no word from fire crews on an official cause of the fire.
A fire heavily damaged a set of row homes located at 319-323 Catherine Street late Thursday into early Friday. The fire started around 11 PM and had crews battling the blaze to the early hours of the morning.
Early reports indicate the fire was started in an upper bedroom at 321 Catherine Street. Witnesses on scene said children were looking for a kitten that had been hiding and may have lit a mattress ablaze with a lighter. A fire marshal has not officially determined the cause of the fire.
Joseph Yannone owner of Jo-Jo’s Pizza who lived at 319 Catherine Street with his fiancé said that everyone got out ok and that they had insurance for their belongings.
Firefighters from Espy and Berwick assisted the Bloomsburg Fire Department in battling the blaze.
BERWICK, COLUMBIA COUNTY - Several people are facing charges after a bar fight, kidnapping and police chase early Sunday morning in Columbia County.
The situation started to play out around 3:00 AM. Berwick police say it all started with a fight where one person was hurt at JJ's Bar on Second Street. Cops say Tyreese King and Rodrick Edmundson were upset over the assault and kidnapped two women from a home on North Mulberry Street.
"We believe that the kidnapping was in response to the bar fight. We're suspecting at this time it might have been a retalitory move," police chief Frank Brennan said.
Police spotted the car the suspects were in and gave chase, but it crashed into a home at the intersection of Routes 93 & 487 in Orangeville. Hours later, the damage was still evident and neighbors were still in shock.
"I was upstairs laying in bed and I just heard squeaking tires and a big boom," Bryanna Gearhart said.
No one in the house was hurt.
"When we came downstairs, we heard cops yelling 'Get Down' and we were like 'Wow!' It was pretty different, not something you expect," Gearhart said.
Police say a third suspect was also involved in the bizarre string of events. Anthony Snyder is still in the hospital with a broken leg. As for the two women who were kidnapped, they were not hurt.
"They weren't in the car. They got pushed out before that, but the patrol didn't know that," Chief Brennan said.
All three of the suspects are facing kidnapping, burglary and assault charges. Police say more arrests are expected.