Cinema Eye Honors, Nominee, Outstanding Achievement in Nonfiction Short Filmmaking
International Documentary Association Awards, Nominee, Best Documentary Short
Florida Film Festival, Grand Jury Award for Best Documentary Short
Savannah Film Festival, Special Jury Award
Official Selection: True/False Film Festival, Aspen Shortsfest, Full Frame Documentary Film Festival, Hot Docs International Documentary Festival, DOC NYC, Sheffield Doc/Fest, SILVERDOCS, Palm Springs ShortFest, Camden International Film Festival, Architecture Film Festival Rotterdam, Louisville’s International Festival of Film, Tacoma Film Festival, DOK Leipzig, New Orleans Film Festival, Hawaii International Film Festival, Architecture and Design Film Festival (NYC), Bergen International Film Festival, Rocky Mountain Women’s Film Festival, Starz Denver Film Festival, Red Rock Film Festival
Directed, Produced and Photographed by Davina Pardo
Produced by Andrew Blum
Executive Produced by Tyler Hayes
Consulting Producer Deborah Shaffer
Editor Lila Place
Additional Camera Liam Dalzell
Original Music Max Avery Lichtenstein
If you work with video, it's vital to understand how codecs work and how they change your image. In this tutorial, I cover all of the big concepts behind codecs, breaking it down into understandable pieces. While the nitty-gritty of compression algorithms can get complicated, all of the main ideas are quite simple.
Part two of this series is here: vimeo.com/115534648
Follow me on http://facebook.com/davidkongfilm for the latest updates.
Here's an overview of the topics covered:
- What a codec is - And how it differs from a container.
- Different types of codecs - And why I frequently use 4 different codecs on a single project.
- Bit Depth - What it means and why it matters.
- Chroma Subsampling - 4:4:4, 4:2:2, and 4:2:0, and when it becomes an issue.
- Spatial Compression and Blocking - One of the most common artefacts you see with normal work.
- Temporal Compression - Long-GOP codecs, inter-frame compression, and ALL-I codecs.
- Lossless vs. Lossy compression - How image compression differs from data compression.
- Bit Rate - How to calculate bit rates and the differences between kbps/kBps/Mbps/MBps.
- Raw - Briefly, the difference between Raw, compressed, and uncompressed video.
Vimeo has sadly disabled the Tip Jar, but if this video was helpful to you, please consider sending a few dollars to david[at]davidkong.net via PayPal: http://paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=david%40davidkong%2enet&lc=US&item_name=David%20Kong¤cy_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted
Parker J Pfister walks through his transformation into a mirrorless studio. With the new Sony A7Rii in his hand he has his perfect translator. (please be advised!!! This video is pretty low tech and un-polished. The Audio is a touch off towards the end. It was a one take shot and Im going with it.I know this. Just trying to get my point of view out there as I am re-charged as a photographer by a new way to create and I just want to pass it on.) Have an awesome day and keep on clickin' .PJ