The Gifts Christ Brought At Christmas December 2012 Series.
#1 Freedom From Fear - 2012/12/02 Luke 2:8-16
Why Were They Afraid?
1. They were surprised! Dr. Luke says angels “came upon them”
2. They were blinded! Vs 9 says the “glory of the Lord shone”.
3. They weren’t at Jerusalem! It would be one thing if this happened in the Temple courtyard in Jerusalem but these guys were in Bethlehem
4. They were unprepared! Ever have someone start to give you important information when you’re not ready (vs 11-12)?
5. They saw the Spirit world! Its rare but I’ve been surprised.
Why are we sometimes afraid of God!
1. We feel out of our comfort zone!
2. We feel unworthy! I imagine the shepherds felt that way, asking ‘why us, what did I do to deserve this’?
3. We think God may want something from us! And the answer to that is usually…yes, He does!
4. We’re not used to spiritual things! The shepherds knew what it was like to be Jewish just like we may be comfortable being an average Christian.
Cor.2:16 - That’s Why The Angels Said “Fear Not”! Has Jesus been calling your name but you’re afraid to answer? My friend, fear not! Let’s look lastly at 2 Timothy 1:6-9