In 2012, I rode my bike from my front door in Copenhagen to Istanbul. It took 31 days, 3000 kilometers, 10 countries and too many people to name them all.
I wanted to shoot 1 sec every day, but it ended up being less methodical.
special thanks: all the people I met on the road. svend for sharing the journey. my mom.
filmed with a gopro hd hero.
inspired by cesar kuriyama
This is the first 3 months of my 1-second a day project. Weekly thematic pieces are here: 7 Seconds
Everything was shot (and edited for the first 2 months using the iMovie app) on an iPhone 5. For the 3rd month, I imported the project into my computer and used Final Cut Pro X to edit. See below for the rules I made for myself.
- I won't film anything that didn't actually happen: e.g. practicing the guitar just to get a shot of me playing an instrument.
- It's OK to re-do something *in the moment* in order to get my shot: e.g. asking somebody to repeat an action *they just did*.
- If I can't get the shot (typically of me doing something), it's OK to hand off and ask somebody else to do it.
- Story over spontaneity: e.g. I might select a shot that inherently communicates what's happening/something more interesting vs. a random moment from a day. Took a while to decide on this one, but it makes the finished piece more accessible to people who don't know me.
- No effects added in post-, like speeding up or filters. Although I may tweak the audio levels later—not sure yet.
Began on November 15, 2012, so month 1 has Thanksgiving in there, along with the first same-sex marriages in Washington State. Month 2 has Christmas and a visit to Senator Patty Murray's office. Month 3 has a trip to the Creating Change conference and more comprehensive immigration reform events.
You should try it too! You can totally do it with just a (smart) phone.
I captured 1 second a day for one year from 3/17/12-3/17/13
- Surprised my sister with an iPad [4/29]
- I heard the same woman sing the same song on the subway two days in a row [7/17 and 7/18]
- My 13-year-old dog passed away [8/14]
- Directed my first commercial [8/16]
- Met two new baby cousins [6/6 and 7/8]
- Hurricane Sandy [10/29]
- Newton, CT [12/14]
- I turned 25 [12/17]
- My grandma turned 94
- Auditioned [1/19] and got cast [1/20] on an NYC PIT improv team
Concerts I attended:
Ingrid Michaelson [5/17, 8/3, 9/22, 12/7]
Regina Spektor [5/15]
Grizzly Bear [9/24]
Tegan and Sara [11/19]
Billy Eichner Season 2 Premiere Show [12/4]
It was a good year.
iPhone 4 and iPhone 5
a couple shots on Canon VIXIA HF M500
1 shot provided by Katherine Borowczak
3 shots by Felicia Krause
2 shots by Emily Krause