Lamenting the demise of the audio cassette, we at M-I-E, thought it would be nice to try and find a fitting tribute to it’s faded glory. ‘Jammed’ is the story of a bold, heroic, Viewmaster robot, venturing into an unknown world to save an unknown soul. We had great fun making this short film, using a mixture of stop motion and 3D techniques. The music was composed by our talented friends, Dan and John, at Meanred.
3d Modelling: Rafael Jimenez
3d Animation: Sarah Beeby
Stop Frame Animation: Sarah Beeby
Animation Studio: Clapham Road Studios
Music and Sound Design: Meanred
The BAFTA winning debut film from AKA Director Marc Craste - JO JO IN THE STARS is a 12 minute story of love, self-sacrifice, and jealousy played out against a black and white world that is both nightmarish and hauntingly beautiful.
Director Marc Craste
Producer Sue Goffe
Produced by Studio AKA
BAFTA 2004 Winner, Best Short Animated Film
Cartoon D'or 2005 Winner of Cartoon D'Or 2005
Clermont Ferrand 2004 2004 Best Short Animated film
Sicaf 2004 2004 Short Film Grand Prize
Bradford Animation Festival 2004 Grand Prix
Brief Encounters - Bristol 2004 Best of British
Aspen Shortsfest 2004 Special Jury Prize
IFCT 2007 Award for Most Innovative Animation
Sometimes a song can get stuck in your mind. Become a little piece of unwanted music, that keeps looping for the rest of your day.
Neurologists claim that stuck songs are like thoughts we're trying to suppress. The harder we try not to think about them, the more we can't help it. The phenomenon is also known as earworms, and the ongoing ‘dim di da da dum’ causes a kind of brain itch you can't scratch.
Jazz that nobody asked for is an ode to all those unwanted songs out there, that have nowhere to go. The music that haunts this film, is the amazing swing jazz tune 'Quaker City Jazz' by the long forgotten ‘Jan Savitt and his Top Hatters’. In 1937 they were the first jazz big band to feature an african american vocalist.
The film is made without any financing, and has no commercial purpose. The love of all things animated has been the driving force for the small team of 3 persons that has created it.
Time lapse sequences of photographs taken by the crew of expeditions
28 & 29 onboard the International Space Station from August to October,
2011, who to my knowledge shot these pictures at an altitude of around 350 km.
All credit goes to them.
Full HD, refurbished, smoothed, retimed, denoised, deflickered, cut, etc.
All in all I tried to keep the looks of the material as original as possible,
avoided adjusting the colors and the like, since in my opinion the original
footage itself already has an almost surreal and aestethical visual nature.
Music: Jan Jelinek | Do Dekor, faitiche back2001
w+p by Jan Jelinek, published by scape Publishing / Universal janjelinek.com | faitiche.de
Image Courtesy of the Image Science & Analysis Laboratory,
NASA Johnson Space Center, The Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth eol.jsc.nasa.gov
1. Aurora Borealis Pass over the United States at Night
2. Aurora Borealis and eastern United States at Night
3. Aurora Australis from Madagascar to southwest of Australia
4. Aurora Australis south of Australia
5. Northwest coast of United States to Central South America at Night
6. Aurora Australis from the Southern to the Northern Pacific Ocean
7. Halfway around the World
8. Night Pass over Central Africa and the Middle East
9. Evening Pass over the Sahara Desert and the Middle East
10. Pass over Canada and Central United States at Night
11. Pass over Southern California to Hudson Bay
12. Islands in the Philippine Sea at Night
13. Pass over Eastern Asia to Philippine Sea and Guam
14. Views of the Mideast at Night
15. Night Pass over Mediterranean Sea
16. Aurora Borealis and the United States at Night
17. Aurora Australis over Indian Ocean
18. Eastern Europe to Southeastern Asia at Night