NICOLAS BERNIER | frequencies (light quanta)
• Art direction, visual design, sound composition, audiovisual programming: Nicolas Bernier
• Technical direction and fabrication: Robocut Studio
• Co-production: LABoral Centro de Arte y Creación Industrial (ES), PERTE DE SIGNAL (CA)
• With the support of Conseil des Arts et de Lettres Québec CALQ (QC) and L.E.V Festival
Sofian Audry, Stephen Kelly, Samuel St-Aubin
In collaboration with Adam Kelly
Aquatic robotic installation
Vessels is a robotic installation consisting of large groups of autonomous water vehicles. With roughly 50 individuals in a population, the robotic agents interact with each other and their environment to form a simple ecosystem. Their collective, emergent behaviour resembles the social interactions in a community of living creatures. Observers may empathize with the robots’ behaviours, ascribe intentions and motivations to their actions, and/or draw correlations between the group dynamic and unseen characteristics of their milieu.
Sound performance by Nicolas Bernier
Purely based on digital synthetic sounds, frequencies (synthetic variations) is an audiovisual composition in which the performer is organizing and processing short sequences of sound and light in real time. Light burst within small acrylic structures, tightly composed together with the sound, providing a sense of extreme precision where one can either hear the light or see the sound.
mutek : may 29 : 22h30 mutek.org/en/festival/montreal/2013/artists/457-nicolas-bernier
Soon to be released on Entr'acte
• nicolas bernier: audiovisual composition, concept, performance, programmation, technical design and some electronics
• olivier lefebvre: techical design
• laurent loison: fabrication