Study 10 of 13 on Growing in Christ
Key Text: “By this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, ‘I know Him,’ and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him” (1 John 2:3, 4 (NKJV).
1. How does the typical human understanding of “law” differ from that of a Christian?
2. What evidence would you cite from Scripture that the Law existed before Mt. Sinai?
3. First John 5:3 says that obedience to God’s commandments is an expression of our love for Him. What does that mean?
4. How do we reconcile “law” with “grace”?
5. Scripture identifies Jesus as our Creator and our Redeemer. Why is the connection important?
6. How do we keep God’s law without falling into legalism?# vimeo.com/54802222 Uploaded
Study 9 of 13 on Growing in Christ
Key Text: “ ‘Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit’ ” (Acts 2:38, NKJV).
1. What ritual in the church is most meaningful to you personally?
2. This week’s study says that we must remember that the “ordinances” not acts by which we earn salvation or gain merit before God. What does this mean?
3. Why (in a sense) do we need to be “baptized” every day?
4. What important doctrinal truth about the Cross is revealed in 1 Corinthians 11:24-26?
5. What good would the first coming of Christ be without the Second?
6. What truths of Christ’s work in behalf of His people do baptism, foot-washing, and the Lord’s Supper illustrate?# vimeo.com/54420468 Uploaded
Study 8 of 13 on Growing in Christ
Key Text: “These things I write to you, though I hope to come to you shortly; but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth” (1 Tim. 3:14, 15, NKJV).
1. What does the word “church” mean to you personally?
2. Why has “church” taken on negative connotations in many minds today?
3. What is meant by the “mission of the church” as it is described in Matthew 28:19, 20?
4. Both Jesus and Paul emphasized the importance of unity in the church. What does this unity mean?
5. Our church affirms the notion of what has been called the “priesthood of all believers.” What does this idea include?
6. What do you say to someone who, believing the church is corrupt, decides to pull away from the body as a whole and go it alone?# vimeo.com/53915397 Uploaded
Key Text: “Take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand” (Eph. 6:13, NKJV).
1. This week’s study title, “ ‘Arming’ for Victory,” sounds as if we can do something to defend ourselves in spiritual conflict. Is this a process of faith or works?
2. This week’s study looks at the link between truth and righteousness. According to Scripture, how are these two connected?
3. Paul describes in several places what could be called steadfastness in the Christian life of warfare. What is meant by this?
4. In Ephesians 6:17 Paul speaks of the helmet as salvation. How may salvation be considered a weapon of defense?
5. How does the military imagery that Paul uses reinforce the reality of the great controversy motif that is so central to the Bible?
6. In practical everyday term, how may we utilize in the coming week the armor we’ve studied in this lesson?# vimeo.com/53400852 Uploaded
Study 6 of 13 on Growing in Christ
Key Text: “In all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us” (Rom. 8:37, NKJV).
1. How may Christians draw on the promises of God for power and victory in times of temptation?
2. What biblical examples demonstrate how followers of Christ have been victorious over the devil?
3. According to Ephesians 1:20–22, what can we claim for our struggles with forces stronger than we are?
4. What does 1 Peter 5:6, 7 tell us about God?
5. Even with the promises we receive in Scripture that we may overcome sin, why doesn’t this also include immediate removal of suffering too?
6. Ellen White talks of drawing “nigh to God.” What does this mean in practical terms?# vimeo.com/52767207 Uploaded