PEACE OF MIND documents the life of American artist, Flo McGarrell, prior to his untimely death in the earthquake that struck Haiti in January of 2010. Through interviews, local artists discuss McGarrell's impact on the community and the small queer movement that was instigated around the FOSAJ Art Center in Jacmel where he worked. The director, Cary Cronenwett, was a collaborative partner of McGarrell’s, and through making the film, Peace of Mind, he processes his own grief and copes with the absence of a friend. Prior to the tragedy, Cronenwett and McGarrell were developing a film based on the novel, KATHY GOES TO HAITI, by Kathy Acker. Shot only weeks before McGarrell’s death, with Zackary Drucker playing Kathy Acker, the footage from the unfinished project blurs the line between fiction and documentary.
76 min, Completed June 2015
Originally from Oklahoma, Cary Cronenwett spent most of his adult life in San Francisco, California where he was awarded the 2009 Bay Area Guardian Goldie for Local Discovery after the release of his film, Maggots and Men. His work has screened at numerous festivals including Miami International, Outfest Los Angeles, Frameline, Queer Lisboa/ Lisbon, Identities Vienna, and Toronto Inside Out. He holds an MFA from CalArts Program for Film and Video and a BA from Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington. He’s currently based in Berlin.
Peace of Mind, 2015 (Director, DP) 76 minutes, HD/ 16mm
• Festivals: Frameline, Outfest, Scottish Queer International, New Fest NYC, Milwaukee LGBT Film/Video Festival
For Flo, 2013 (Director) 10 minutes, 16mm/super8/HD
• Distribution through IndieFlix
• Festivals: Outfest (Los Angeles), Mix New York, Dirty Looks NYC
Maggots and Men, 2009 (Director) 55 minutes, 16mm
• Festival Distribution through Film Collaborative, Los Angeles, CA
• Festivals: Miami International, Frameline (San Francisco), Outfest (Los Angeles), Vancouver LGBT, Hamburg LGBT, Image + Nation (Montreal), Mix New York, London BFI LGBT, Sydney Queer Screen, Inside out (Toronto), Lbjania Queer (Slovania), Identities Queer (Vienna), Three Dollar Bill (Seattle), Seattle Lesbian and Gay, Copenhagen Gay and Lesbian, TranScreen (Amsterdam), Lady Fest (Rome), Queer Lisboa (Portugal), Bangalore LGBT Festival (India)
• University Screenings: Vassar College, Berkeley, UC Santa Cruz, USC, Concordia (Montreal), School of the Art Institute Chicago, Mills, CalArts
• Other: SF Camera Work (San Francisco), Cinemental/ Cinematheque (Boston) Entzaubert, Frameline Encore, Hollywood Theater, Portland, OR.
Phineas Slipped, 2002 (Director) 15 minutes, Super8/ SD video
• Festival distribution through Canadian Filmmakers Distribution Collective
• Festivals: (2002) Frameline International (San Francisco), Outfest (Los Angeles), Mix New York, Mix Brazil, Turin International Gay/Lesbian, PrideFest Manila (Philippines), Austin Gay and Lesbian International, Dublin Lesbian/Gay, Feast Festival Adelaide (Australia), Out Takes Dallas LGB, Chicago Reeling Gay/Lesbian
OTHER FILM CREDITS / IMDB LISTINGS
Editor, Fallen Blossoms, 2015 (Directed by Lior Shamriz) 75 min, HD
Editor, Andrea, 2015 (Directed by Johanna Breiding) 12 min, Archival Video