A fly-through of our virtual reconstruction of the Caen Township.
This site was excavated in 2014 and the findings used to recreate an accurate representation of day to day life on this pre clearances Highland township settlement around 1813.
The Caen township sits approximately 1 kilometre up the Strath (area alongside a river) from the village of Helmsdale in Sutherland, Scotland. Caen was a township that was cleared during the highland clearances. The Open Virtual Worlds group at the university of St Andrews has created a digital model of the township as it might have been before the clearances. This model has been installed as an interactive exhibit in the Timespan museum and Arts centre, located in Helmsdale.
One of the features of the model is that the findings an archaeological excavation that took place at the site in the summer of 2013 has been integrated into the model. The excavation was undertaken by a team from the University of the Highlands and Islands, in Scotland. The video focuses on two structures that were excavated, a longhouse and its adjacent auxiliary structure. In the longhouse the video shows a tiled floor, which was unearthed during the dig, as well as the hearth, which was discovered to be in the centre of the longhouse. This placement is atypical of longhouses of the period. Having exited the longhouse the video goes into the next door byre, in which the excavation turned up fragments of an exploded whiskey still!
A recreation of St Andrews Cathedral as it was in 1318. Today the remains of St Andrews Cathedral only hint at its former glory.
St Andrews was once the religious capital of Scotland. During the Middle Ages this small seaside burgh held the shrine of the nation’s patron saint, was the seat of the kingdom’s senior bishopric, and had the largest cathedral in the country. Yet following the upheavals of the Reformation much of St Andrews’ medieval built environment (and wider religious material culture) was destroyed. The great Cathedral of St Andrew fell into ruins, other religious foundations were razed to the ground, and even those churches which survived were stripped of altars, images, and vestments
This reconstruction was created by the Open Virtual Worlds group at the University of St Andrews, in collaboration with Professor Richard Fawcett from the School of Art History.
Reconstruction primarily funded by St Andrews Community Trust and University of St Andrews 600 Committee. Music by St Salvators Choir.