This tutorial shows how to use TouchOSC together with Modul8 over CoreMIDI.
This is what you need:
- Buy Modul8 or download the demo* http://www.garagecube.com/modul8/
- Buy the TouchOSC app for your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch or from the app store. You must run iOS 4.2 or later to be able to use Core MIDI.
- Download the TouchOSC editor for OSX from http://hexler.net
- From within Modul8, download the "Two way MIDI (Udart)" module form the module library*.
* You can't download modules if you are running a demo version of Modul8. You can however skip the part with MIDI feedback.
There will be more information in an upcoming blog post.
This tutorial was made at 1 in the morning at a hotel room in Falun, Sweden.
This movie shows OSC communication between Ableton Live and Modul8. I'm using some components from the mlrV4live package (http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=5431, watch this video for how to install the OSC folders in Live: vimeo.com/6015542
The Modul8 module I'm using is a modified version of OSC (global). The module reads the OSC messages from Live and translates them to Modul8 keywords and the other way around. This is just a proof of concept. If you think this module could be useful to you, leave your thoughts in the comments and I'll consider finishing and releasing the module.
The blog post here: http://themidithief.com/2011/01/ableton-live-modul8/
The music I'm using in the video are tracks from the song The Great Fashionista Swindle by Dada Life that I downloaded from http://dadalife.com
Mapping XY to movie in and out points. When move corsor on your iThing running iTM XYPad diagonally one way it selects the in and out poits of your clip and other way it moves the selected junk in time line.