Revealed at NAB 2014, the AJA Cion is a 4K capable camera, which also does Ultra HD, 2K and HD format, directly to Apple ProRes 422 and 444 at up to 4K 60fps or output AJA Raw at up to 4K 120fps.
The CION interface is uncomplicated and can be easily managed from the operator-side.
* Sensor: 4K APS-C sized CMOS sensor with an electronic global shutter. 12-stops of dynamic range.
* Recording Formats and Resolutions: Apple ProRes 4444, Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), Apple ProRes 422, ProRes 422 (LT) and Apple ProRes (Proxy); 4K (4096×2160), Ultra HD (3840×2160), 2K (2048×1080), HD (1920×1080). 2K and HD are hardware scaled from the full 4K sensor for high-quality over-sampled images and retention of field-of-view.
* Media: Record to AJA Pak SSD media available in 256GB and 512GB capacities. Transfer via Thunderbolt or USB3 with optional AJA Pak Dock; Complete 10-bit and 12-bit workflow from HD to 4K.
* Raw Support: Output AJA Raw via 3G-SDI at up to 4K 120 fps or via Thunderbolt at up to 4K 30 fps.
Lens Mount: Industry standard PL mount
* 4× 3G-SDI/HD-SDI outputs (4K/Ultra HD/2K/HD)
* 2× 3G/HD-SDI monitor outputs with overlay support
* 1x HDMI output offering support for 4K and Ultra HD or scaled 2K/HD
* 1x HDMI output for 2K/HD
* 2x mic/line/48v XLR analog audio inputs
* 2x LANC control ports
* 1x LTC input connector
* 1x reference connector
* 1x USB connector
* 1× 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN connection
* 1x Mini TRS headphone jack
* 1× 4-pin XLR power connector
* 1x input power connector for attaching third-party battery plates
* 1x output power connector
* 1x Thunderbolt connector
An interview from the 2014 National Association of Broadcasters Convention in Las Vegas with Bryce Button of AJA Video Systems. AJA Video Systems is a leading manufacturer of high-quality and cost-effective digital video acquisition, interface, conversion and desktop solutions for professional broadcast, production and post-production. In this interview Bryce showcases the newly introduced CION, an entirely new professional camera. CION features an ergonomic design and is capable of shooting at 4K/UltraHD and 2K/HD resolutions. CION enables today’s growing demand for high frame rate support and offers the ability to output 4K raw data at up to 120 fps via 4x 3G-SDI outputs. CION can record directly to AJA Pak SSD media at up to 60 frames per second.
Always great speaking with Tony Cacciarelli at AJA. This year Tony gives us a great breakdown of all the benefits of their new and exciting Cion 4K Camera. Yes that's right AJA is now in the camera business and I have to say it shows taking over 4 years the Cion in the making. So kick back and check out the Cion Camera from AJA NABShow 2014..!
Andy Bellamy of AJA going over the 4K Cion camera.
This video is also on YouTube here:
I will be uploading the rest of my NAB 2014 videos that are on YouTube to Vimeo. If you would like to see all of them now, here's my YouTube channel. http://youtube.com/user/PhotoVideoSamplesEtc/videos
One of NAB biggest reveals came courtesy of AJA, usually known for their range of recorders and mini-converters, like the Ki Pro Quad and LUT-box, which Andy covered yesterday. This year they unveiled the CION, a new 4K/UHD and 2K/HD production camera. It features a 4K APS-C-sized CMOS sensor with an electronic global shutter and 12 stops of dynamic range. As far as recording options go, the CION can handle 4K (4096x2160), UltraHD (3820x2160), 2K (2048x1080) and HD (1920x1080). It can also output frame rates up to 120fps in 4K or UHD from its four 3G-SDI outputs in AJA Raw. In the video above, I talk with AJA's Andy Bellamy about some of what's going on under the hood of this new camera, so check it out for more details.