View all of our hunting and fishing stories, wild game recipes, and outdoor adventure articles at http://www.harvestingnature.com
Thankfully, I have a surplus of Antelope meat left over from my recent hunting trip in Wyoming. I decided to keep this sausage very simple in its origins. I wanted to complement the natural flavors by using the sage. I added bacon for added fat and because, well, I like bacon. I normally stray away from a bacon and wild game combo, but I was feeling feisty that day.
1 lbs bacon
1-2 lbs ground Antelope
2 tbsp diced garlic
1 tbsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp mustard powder
1 tsp minced fresh sage
3-4 ft pork sausage casing
4 pieces of bread.
1. Grind the Bacon using the medium sized grinder plate
2. Mix all of the ingredients, excluding the bread and casing
3. Grind the mixture using the medium sized grinder plate
4. Place mixture in the freezer for 15-20 minutes
5. Install sausage tube on the meat grinder
6. Thread casing onto the sausage tube
7. Add mixture to grinder and push mixture in until it appears at the end of the tube
8. Pull a portion of the casing past the tube opening and knot the casing
9. Pull back the casing snug to the tube
10. Use one hand to allow the casing to slowly slide off of the tube as you feed the mixture with the other hand. You want to prevent air bubbles from forming.
11. Feed the mixture into the casing until the meat is gone.
12. Feed chunks of bread into the casing until the meat appears to have filled the casing.
13. Remove the casing from the tube.
14. Squeeze out any bread from the casing and knot the casing as close to the meat mixture as possible
15. Cut the casing near the knot.
16. Bring your grill to medium high heat and cook for 15-20 minutes, flipping occasionally.
The Quest for Real Food: Wyoming is a tale about a group of hunters set out to find real, truly organic food in its natural environment. These hunters ventured in the wilderness of Wyoming to hunt Mule Deer and Antelope with the hopes of bringing home meat to the families. The full film will be released on November 21, 2015 on http://www.harvestingnature.com